Septinsular Republic (1800-1807)
With the 1797 Treaty of Campo Formio, the Venetian-ruled Ionian Islands became departments of France. In 1799 the islands fell to a Russian siege and the following year a Republic was set up under a joint Russian-Ottoman protectorate.
The flag featured a Venetian Lion of St Mark holding seven arrows (representing the seven Ionian islands). The return of the French in 1807 marked the end of the flag, but the local government remained. The islands became a British protectorate in 1815 and the flag was revived, with the addition of a Union Jack and a red border.
- supramonoperro reblogged this from flaglog
- karpinovic-girl reblogged this from flaglog
- rasmusland likes this
- flipflopflyball likes this
- nocoastoffense reblogged this from flaglog and added:
- ddraig02 reblogged this from flaglog
- olio-ataxia likes this
- flaglog posted this